Thursday, November 18, 2010

PEAKS AND VALLEYS - Book Review due 11/19/10

My first Spencer Johnson was "Who Moved My Cheese?", and this story follows nearly the same concept and format than its predecessors. Any man or woman can listen to Mr. Johnson's words, and apply them to all aspects in their life - may it be their career, a relationship, or any day-to-day activities - much of what I have begun to do as of late.

Michael Brown is a Young Man in a "professional" and "persoal" valley when we first meet him. He's utterly discouraged at work, his relationships are in a bad place, and his future outlook is negative. A real Mr. Hindsight as I like to call him. Fortunately for him, he meets this Old Man, a man that comfortably lives on a peak - but not just any peak [in my opinion]. THE peak. This is the most successful man in history. 

One quote that sticks out in my mind is what the Wise Man said to Young Man (Michael Brown). "... Valley's end." That was just a simple, yet amazing point that I had never even thought of, and perhaps that is how most valid and memorable points should be. "Do the opposite of what put you  in the Valley. Get outside of yourself: Be of more service at work  and more loving in life. Uncover the good that is hidden in a bad  time and use it to your advantage." Truer words have never been spoken.

This story reminded me of so many scenarios in my past, high school most oddly. I would have to say I had several tall peaks that were dimly surrounded by many valleys, or may we say "chasms" in my case. But that is a different story for a different blog. What I did in fact learn as I grew older is what the Old Man told Michael in the second act: "A personal peak is a triumph against fear, and you create your own peak when you follow your sensible vision." I nearly have that memorized at this point. I understood that in order to stay on my own peaks, I have to stay grateful for those around me and for what I have accomplished thus far in my life. Learn from my mistakes, and continue doing what got me to my peak in the first place. However, I will always be prepared for my next valley - since valleys and peaks are ... connected.


"You change your valley into a peak when you find and use the good that is hidden in the bad time."

10/10 score from me. Great read for - everyone.
 -mark johnston

No comments:

Post a Comment